I’ve got 99 problems but a peach ain’t one…
I’ve been obsessed with whiskey since I can remember. I mean, I like the word Bourbon better because it rolls off the tongue, but same, same. (Should you want to know the difference, check out our What the Whisk(e)y article). I honestly think that whiskey and bourbon are the end all be all of liquor, and nothing says urban pioneer or socialite hipster or wild west cowboy like whiskey.
In my search for whiskey perfection, I’ve come across some amazing recipes for weekends and night caps. One of my favorites was a Peach & Honey Old Fashioned from The Depot in Reno, Nevada. The only bad thing about this little glass of heaven, is that it takes around 2.5 hours to get to Reno and I don’t have that kind of time, so we kind of recreated it.
We created it with grilled, caramelized peaches, homemade honey simple syrup and a few dashes of bitters. It’s so worth trying it if you’re in love with whiskey & peaches like us.
- 1/4 grilled peach
- 1/2 ounce Honey Simple Syrup
- 2-3 dashes of bitters (I like to add blood orange or peach to this mix)
- 2 ounces whiskey**
- 1 orange rind slice
- splash of club soda or water
**We love Do Good Distillery and Law’s Whiskey House… If you don’t know where to start, go with Nighthawk Bourbon or Beechwood Smoked Whiskey from Do Good or Law’s Four Grain Bourbon.
- Heat a gas grill to medium. If you are cooking on a charcoal grill, wait until the fire has died down to medium to low heat.
- Cut the peaches along their seams, all the way around, and twist their halves off their pits. Brush the cut sides of the peaches with a little butter and grill, cut side down, until the fruit has developed grill marks and started to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Brush the tops with butter, turn over and move to the side of the grill to continue cooking over indirect heat, another 4 to 5 minutes. I like to brush our homemade honey simple syrup over them for added extra sweetness
Homemade Honey simple Syrup
- Heat 2 parts honey to 1 part hot water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. Remove from heat and cool. Store at room temperature or refrigerate as desired. Lasts 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
Peach Better Have My Honey (Grilled Peach Old Fashioned)
- Cut the halved grilled peaches into fourths. Place 1/4 of grilled peach, 2 dashes of bitters, and homemade honey simple syrup and muddle together.
- Fill glass with ice and add whiskey and water (if you choose) and stir.
- Squeeze orange peel over glass to extract oils, add peel to glass. Stir.
- Garnish with peach slice, swizzle stick, and straw.
For more great recipes: Follow Us